It’s important to understand what the most popular teen apps are on social media. To do this, our friends at TeenSafe and Gryffin created this infographic that shows a day in the life of “the App-Addicted Teen.”
Scroll to the bottom of this post to see a text version of this infographic that you can send to your friends.
Welcome to the day in the life of the average social teen.
- Today, over 95 percent of teens in the US have access to the internet.
- Of these teens, 90 percent are on social media.
- And 78 percent have a smartphone.
- 56 percent of teens claim to be on Facebook.
- 27 percent of teens prefer Twitter to other social networks.
Getting ready for school
- Instagram is now the #1 social network among teens.
- The most popular Instagram tags are #love, #instagood, #me, #cute, #followme, #girl, #photooftheday .
Driving to school
- Apps like Spotify allows teens to integrate music with social media and share playlists.
- 90 percent of texts are read within 3 minutes of delivery.
- Besides texting, studies have shown mobile devices in the classroom can increase engagement and creativity!
90 percent of students admit to using mobile phones for non-educational reasons during school:
- 68 percent email.
- 38 percent web surfing.
- 86 percent texting.
- 79 percent checking time.
- 8 percent games.
- 66 percent social networking.
Back to class
- YouTube EDU currently has 700k+ high-quality education videos that can be used in the classroom.
- However, while 77 percent of teachers find digital tools in the classroom helpful, 87 percent say sites like YouTube are also the biggest distraction.
- 43 percent of users aged 12 to 24 say they use SnapChat every day.
- Vine allows users to record and share 6-second videos.
- Five vines created every second.
- Messaging apps are becoming increasingly popular alternative to texting.
- 72 percent of people use their smartphone while watching TV.
- 50 billion messages are sent on Whatsapp every day.
- In 2013, Kik grew from 50 million to 100 million users.
- 35 percent of global smartphone users use Facebook messenger at least once a week.
- Ask.fm is an anonymous question-and-answer website. Despite being known for lack of privacy regulation, has over 109 million users.
- Reddit is a popular online forum. 15 percent of men aged 18-29 use Reddit.
- Tumblr is a blogging platform that allows users to share short, visual post.
- The average visit to Tumblr is 14 minutes.
- 61 percent of teens use Tumblr on a regular basis.
Also, here’s a small excerpt from our friends at the Huffington Post:
Social Media: Has Your Addiction Gone Too Far?
Twitter. Facebook. Tumblr. Instagram. In the past few years, social media has absolutely blown up, creating countless opportunities for people to communicate, without actually meeting face-to-face. Though it certainly has its benefits — Skyping with loved ones, connected with long lost friends — social media has rapidly taken over many people’s social lives, impacting their self-esteem, social skills and emotional health.