The Private Photo Calculator App was extremely popular in 2016. There are now hundreds of apps that allow students to hide their inappropriate photos behind an innocent looking calculator app (or another style of app that looks innocent). These apps are popular because they help a student to hide their behavior from their parents. Many of these apps help students to hide their sexting photos and other inappropriate images/videos from prying eyes.
We strongly believe that a healthy dialog with your students is the best way to prevent your students from using apps like this.
Consider joining our next online safety webinar to learn more about good and bad teen apps.
What is the Private Photo Calculator App?
- The “Private Photo Calculator” app is designed to help students hide photos and videos behind an innocent looking calculator app
- This application looks like a calculator but entering a passcode opens a private area
- All files are securely stored in the app and cannot be viewed in the default iPhone camera roll
Watch our Private Photo Calculator App Video:
The Private Photo Calculator app allows students to hide photos and videos behind a calculator app
Private Photo Calculator app looks like a regular calculator until a kid types in a 4 digit passcode
How does the Private Photo Calculator app work?
- Calculator app’s icon looks similar to other calculator apps. However, in the iTunes store the app logo is slightly different.
- When you open the app it looks like a regular calculator.
- To access secret photos you need to type a “.” (period) then a 4 digit passcode, and then a “.” (period) again.
- The Calculator app allows you to store photos and videos.
- Only the person that knows the passcode can access the secret pictures.
- Calculator app allows you to take pictures using this app or you can select photos to hide from your existing pictures.
- Pictures can be shared via email.
- If you buy a full version for $0.99 you unlock more features.
Live Demonstration – How the Calculator App works
How to find other secret apps on a phone
- Get your student’s phone
- Visit the App Store
- Type in “secret” or “calculator” (or any other app name)
- If it says “open,” your student has this app
- If it says “get,” your student doesn’t have this app
- The cloud logo means your student used to have the app
As a new secret app gains popularity, we suggest parents have a dialog with their kids about privacy and sexting
What can parents do to keep their kids safe on Calculator app?
- Consider deleting this app
- Remind your kids that everything is public
- Have a dialog with your kids about sexting and sending inappropriate photos to others
- Explain to your kids that they should be careful with sharing their photos with anyone, as they can be forwarded