The Private Photo Calculator% app allows students to hide photos and videos behind a calculator app
What is the Calculator% App?
- The “Private Photo (Calculator%)” app is designed to help students hide photos and videos behind an innocent looking calculator app
- This application looks like a calculator but entering a passcode opens a private area
- All files are securely stored in the app and cannot be viewed in the default iPhone camera roll
Private Photo Calculator% app looks like a regular calculator until a kid types in a 4 digit passcode
How does the Private Photo (Calculator%) app work?
- Calculator% app’s icon looks similar to other calculator apps. However, in the iTunes store the app logo is slightly different.
- When you open the app it looks like a regular calculator.
- To access secret photos you need to type a “.” (period) then a 4 digit passcode, and then a “.” (period) again.
- The Calculator% app allows you to store photos and videos.
- Only the person that knows the passcode can access the secret pictures.
- Calculator app allows you to take pictures using this app or you can select photos to hide from your existing pictures.
- Pictures can be shared via email.
- If you buy a full version for $0.99 you unlock more features.
Live Demonstration – How the Calculator% App works
How to find other secret apps on a phone
- Get your student’s phone
- Visit the App Store
- Type in “secret” or “calculator” (or any other app name)
- If it says “open,” your student has this app
- If it says “get,” your student doesn’t have this app
- The cloud logo means your student used to have the app
As a new secret app gains popularity, we suggest parents have a dialog with their kids about privacy and sexting
What can parents do to keep their kids safe on Calculator% app?
- Consider deleting this app
- Remind your kids that everything is public
- Have a dialog with your kids about sexting and sending inappropriate photos to others
- Explain to your kids that they should be careful with sharing their photos with anyone, as they can be forwarded