The Triller app, first released in 2015, is a social media network where users can easily edit and share short videos. The American-owned Triller app got a lot of new attention, and millions of new users, in 2020 when its main rival, the Chinese-based TikTok app, started facing political scrutiny.
This app guide explains how Triller works and what parents can do to keep their kids safe while using it.
We see ‘ourselves as the adult version,’ Triller co-owner and Hollywood producer Ryan Kavanaugh tells CNBC Make It. ‘We look at [TikTok] like a stepping stone to Triller,’ he says, adding that the app’s content is ‘a little more risque’ and meant for a slightly older crowd.CNBC
What is Triller?
- Triller is a US-based social video app where users can make and share short videos
- Triller claimed it had 250 million downloads and 65 million monthly active users in August 2020, according to TechCrunch
- Anyone can view videos, but users must sign up for a free Triller account to “like” videos, follow other users, read/make comments, and send direct messages
- New users can sign up for a Triller account with their Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, phone number, or valid email account
- Users can watch Triller videos by scrolling through the:
- Following Feed– videos posted only by users you follow
- Social Feed– public videos created by all users
- Music Feed– videos by verified users
- Videos can be downloaded, shared via social media networks, texted, or e-mailed
Why do teens like the Triller app?
- Users can create professional-looking music videos and vlogs in minutes with the app’s auto-editing algorithm
- The app has 100+ filters and videos can be personalized with text, drawings, and emojis
- Triller’s music library features top trending songs
- Users can collaborate with friends in-person or online for group videos
- Profiles show the number of followers someone has
- Many celebrities and TikTok influencers are now sharing videos on Triller
Where is the Triller app available?
- Apple App Store: 12+
- Google Play: T (Teen)
- Developer’s Website: Triller.co (Based in the USA, Owned by Proxima Media )
- Terms of Service
Triller app in the news
Triller jumped to the No. 1 downloaded iPhone app in the nation on Aug. 1, … It hit that milestone one day after Trump first floated the notion of a TikTok ban and four days after some of TikTok’s best known stars said they would make Triller their new home.Chicago Tribune
The suit… claims TikTok is infringing on Triller’s U.S Patent… [which] covers ‘systems and methods for creating music videos synchronized with an audio track.’TechCrunch
Triller revealed… that it had made a $20 billion offer for [TikTok’s] U.S. assetsYahoo! Finance
Why should parents care?
- Since content is user-generated on Triller, it can contain profanity, suggestive dance moves, drinking, and drug use
- Even if your kids only follow their friends on Triller, they can still access all public videos on the Music and Social feeds
- Users can reveal their location and personal details in their videos
- Triller encourages users to take part in “challenges,” which could encourage vulgar dances and other behaviors that are inappropriate for minors
- There’s no age verification to sign up for a Triller account
- Triller users can easily download other user’s videos and share them on other social media platforms
- The app collects usage data
- Users can change this in Settings by scrolling down to Privacy and turning off “Allow Data Collection”
What can parents do?
- Encourage students to make their Triller accounts private
- They can do this in the Settings menu under Privacy
- Users can also make individual videos private
- To do this: Click the “Make My Video Private” switch before you publish a video
- Consider setting app time limits, since students can spend a lot of time scrolling through Triller
- You can also turn off the Auto-scrolling feed in Settings
- Talk with your students about the dangers of chatting online with strangers and the dangers of participating in viral video challenges
- Remind your kids that anything they post on Triller, even videos set to private, can easily be shared with others
Many creators enjoy using Triller because it makes video editing easy. Its interface is easy to use and extremely similar to other video apps, like TikTok. And just like many video sharing apps, the dangers of exposure to inappropriate content and potential communication with strangers is also a concern with kids on Triller.