What is the Look App? A Guide for Parents
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Green Zone.
We believe this app is a STARTING POINT for your student, but that you must monitor your student on every app they are on. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: Please note this app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Gray Zone.
Parents should participate in these apps with students to keep them safe.
Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Red Zone. We believe this app is not safe for students to use without adult supervision. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed as a Dangerous Social Media Challenge. Knowing about social media challenges before your teen does can help you keep them safe before an incident occurs. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
The Look app is a free messaging app that combines live video with text messaging.
What is the Look app?
- Users can send each other video messages, texts, emojis, or GIFs
- On the Look app, users can chat one-on-one, in groups, or subgroups
- Other features allow users to draw on their videos and add filters or text to their videos
- Users can also send each other polls
- There is no limit to how many messages a user can send or how big a group chat can be
- Look is an app that was rebranded and formerly known as Sochat. In addition to all of the features the Look app offers, Sochat encouraged users to chat with strangers nearby without needing their phone number
Why should parents care?
- In the past, Look App used a method that will send text messages to user’s contacts saying the user invited them to join the app. This has been reported as feeling spammy by some users
- Some users have reported that it can be difficult to delete your Look account and that it’s easy for strangers to message you on the app
- Since activity from the Look app doesn’t show up on their parents’ phone bill, some students use the app to hide their phone activity
- Apps that make it easy to hide negative behavior from parents can encourage bullying
- There are no filters on the app, so students can come across inappropriate content
What users say about the Look app
App spams everyone in your phone book if you give it permissions. No easy way to opt out of sending everyone an invite. –Scott L.
I don't like the app so I’ve tried to delete my account but it doesn't let me even go to the support area for help. –Allyson M.
Source: Google Play Store
What can parents do?
- Before giving them access to a mobile device, set limits on how much your teen can use texting/messaging apps to connect with their friends
- Discuss who your student can message and who your student can’t message
- When you’re ready for your teen to have access to messaging apps, check out our Parent App Guide page and encourage your student to use the messaging apps in our Gray Zone or Green Zone
- Consider creating a Family Cell Phone Contract before giving your student access to a mobile device
Share Your Thoughts With Our Team
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *