Positive Ways to Use ChatGPT for Students
Become a member or log in to learn more on this topic
Superintendents, Directors and Principals: Request a partnership on this page to unlock our resources for your whole community.
Unlock this lesson to learn what you can do to keep kids safe on ChatGPT
This ChatGPT Guide will help parents learn:
- Ways students can use ChatGPT in a positive way
- What the experts have to say about using this new technology
- Tips for using ChatGPT to support education
Log in or join the VIP membership today to view all SmartSocial.com resources!
Become a member or log in to learn more on this topic
Full access to all 130+ courses
Watch all replay videos
Unlimited Yearly Access
Full access to all 130+ courses
Watch all replay videos
Superintendents, Directors and Principals: Request a partnership on this page to unlock our resources for your whole community.
This is great info, thanks for giving me some ideas on how to start a dialogue with my teen!
Parent VIP Member
Josh's presentation about social media was unbelievably fantastic. Our students learned so much about what kids should and shouldn't be doing. The fact that it is such a thoughtful process made it all worthwhile.
Director of College Advising
Educator Webinar Attendee
This webinar is a very helpful eye-opener on the apps that are popular with my students.
Educator Webinar Attendee
For a limited time, this guide is available for everyone.
Districts: Click here to set up a call with us to discuss how to make this available for your community all year long.
Parents: Consider becoming a member to get access to all of our guides all year long.
Table of Contents
ChatGPT is an extremely popular chatbot that uses artificial intelligence to respond to questions. While many teachers do have concerns about whether or not it will be used by students to cheat, there are many positive uses for this tool.
Currently, 43% of college students say that they have used AI tools like ChatGPT and that number is only likely to increase as these tools become more mainstream (Source: Forbes). Discovering ways to use ChatGPT in an academically honest way early on will help students use it in ways that support their education and life goals.
How to use ChatGPT in a Positive Way as a Family
- Brainstorm staycation ideas
- Write a funny story that incorporates family members
- Plan a birthday party on a budget
- Create family friendly jokes
- Create a weekly family chore chart
- Brainstorm new family traditions
- Create age-appropriate bedtime stories
7 Prompts to Use ChatGPT for Tutoring
- Summarize the life of ___ in 50 words or less
- Explain ____ to me like I am 8 years old
- Compare and contrast [event in history, places, people]
- What themes are in [book]
- What steps do I need to take to solve this math problem: [insert math problem]
- Discuss the cause of [event in history]
- How does [science concept] work in real life
How to use ChatGPT for Foreign Language Practice
- ChatGPT can be used as a conversational language practice tool by asking it to respond to students in their target language
- Students can ask for clarification on grammar rules and vocabulary
- Students can strengthen their reading comprehension by providing a story or text in their target language and having ChatGPT ask them questions to test their understanding
- Researching information about the culture where the target language is spoken can help students have a well-rounded language education
What positive ChatGPT uses have others come up with?
ChatGPT as a research tool
Logan Nguyen, Midss.org
One of the main uses of ChatGPT right now is for academic assistance. I don’t believe students are using this AI tool to write essays. Instead, they are using it largely as a research tool to help narrow down their work and complete it more efficiently.
I also know that students are exploring ChatGPT. They are asking it all manner of questions simply because it's fun to do so. This interaction is still safe, but I would feel more comfortable if ChatGPT had some age restrictions as well.
The best way to help students use ChatGPT safely is to accept that this tool is here to stay. We have seen a lot of negative attitudes, especially from parents and teachers, towards ChatGPT, but this is actually a very helpful tool, and there are many ways children can use it safely and productively. However, this can only happen if parents embrace it and try to find a perfect balance on how to use ChatGPT to augment studies.
Survey data about ChatGPT for students
Lyss Welding, BestColleges
Here are some key takeaways from a survey collected from Best Colleges. We conducted our survey Mar. 3-13, 2023, and included 1,000 current undergraduate and graduate students.
- 61% of college students think AI tools like ChatGPT will become the new normal: I think this stat especially speaks to how important it is that educators find positive ways to use ChatGPT
- 43% of college students have used ChatGPT or a similar AI application
- Of those who have used AI tools, 50% say they have used them to help complete assignments or exams. That's 22% of all college students in our survey
- Half of college students (51%) agree that using AI tools like ChatGPT on schoolwork constitutes cheating or plagiarism
- Most college students (57%) do not intend to use or continue using AI to complete their schoolwork
- 31% say their instructors, course materials, or school honor codes have explicitly prohibited AI tools
- Over half of college students (54%) say their instructors have not openly discussed the use of AI tools like ChatGPT
- 6 in 10 college students (60%) report that their instructors or schools haven't specified how to use AI tools ethically or responsibly
- 40% say that the use of AI by students defeats the purpose of education
Practice communication skills
Akshay Vikhe, OnlineCourseing
Students can use ChatGPT to ask questions related to their assignments or use it to generate ideas for writing assignments. It's important to note that ChatGPT should not be used as a replacement for traditional learning methods, but rather as a supplemental tool to support and enhance learning. Students should continue to engage with their teachers and peers, attend classes, and do their own research to gain a comprehensive understanding of the topics they are studying.
Use ChatGPT as a research assistant
Sukhy Dhillon, Brand Director at E-Careers
As the Brand Director at E-Careers, an e-learning platform, I believe that ChatGPT is a revolutionary educational tool that can help students succeed both inside and outside of the classroom.
ChatGPT may be used in many ways by students, one of which is as a means for them to brainstorm and investigate unfamiliar topics. They may utilize AI in a variety of ways, including coming up with novel approaches to class challenges, generating discussion topics for essays, and more. ChatGPT also serves as a useful tool for students to use in their studies. Students may save time and effort by using AI to locate appropriate articles, books, and other resources for their projects.
ChatGPT's multilingual capabilities also make it a useful tool for helping students hone their language skills.
It is, however, crucial that students learn to utilize ChatGPT in a secure and responsible manner. We suggest that teachers and parents lay out strict rules for how students should engage with the AI, including not disclosing any personal information and speaking in a mature manner. Students should also be made aware of the caveats and hazards of dealing with AI and other forms of technology.
Encourage students to explore new interests
Jeff Mains, CEO, Champion Leadership Group LLC
Students can use ChatGPT to acquire better abilities and complete their coursework successfully but they can also expand their understanding by investigating alternative perspectives, and honing their reasoning abilities with tapping into ChatGPT's numerous resources.
What are different ways that students can use ChatGPT with a positive purpose both in the classroom and out?
- Help With Research - Students can benefit greatly from using ChatGPT as a research tool. It can give them reliable data on any subject they care to research. ChatGPT is a place where students may ask questions about any subject and receive the most accurate and up-to-date informational responses. To put it another way, this can assist students to save time and energy when researching for schoolwork
- Help with Writing - Students can also utilize ChatGPT as a writing assistant. They can use it to brainstorm topics for their essays, find related words and phrases, and get suggestions for how to organize their writing. Students who experience writer's block or who have trouble putting their thoughts into writing may benefit greatly from this. ChatGPT helps students develop as writers and create better essays and other written work
ChatGPT for language practice
Jonathan Westover, Human Capital Innovations, LLC
Language Practice: Students can use ChatGPT to practice speaking or writing in a foreign language. ChatGPT can offer corrections and suggest alternative phrasing to improve the student's proficiency in the language.
Creative Writing: Students can use ChatGPT to generate writing prompts and ideas for their creative writing assignments. ChatGPT can also help students develop their writing skills by offering feedback and suggestions on their work.
Mental Health Support: ChatGPT can provide students with mental health support by offering tips for managing stress, anxiety, and other issues. ChatGPT can also direct students to resources such as hotlines and counseling services.
Research Assistance: ChatGPT can help students with research projects by providing relevant information and suggesting sources for further reading. ChatGPT can also help students develop their research skills by offering guidance on how to evaluate sources and synthesize information. When using ChatGPT it is important to do so safely. Here are some tips:
- Protect personal information: Never share personal information such as your name, address, or phone number within ChatGPT
- Use a secure connection: Make sure you are using a secure connection when accessing ChatGPT to protect your privacy
- Stay on topic: Keep the conversation focused on the intended purpose and avoid discussing sensitive or inappropriate topics
- Be skeptical: Remember that ChatGPT is an AI language model and may not always provide accurate information. Always verify information with reputable sources
- Don't share login information: Never share your ChatGPT login information with anyone, as this could compromise your account
Here are a few ChatGPT prompts to get you started:
- Can you help me with my math homework?
- I need to practice my Spanish. Can you help me with some conversational phrases?
- Can you generate some creative writing prompts for me?
- I'm feeling really stressed lately. Do you have any tips for managing stress?
- I'm working on a research project about climate change. Can you suggest some relevant sources for me to read?
Modeling language structure
Aaron Wertheimer, Marketing
Not all technologies are bad. ChatGPT is regarded as a frightening, new technology — similar to how Siri, Alexa, Mac, Windows, cell phones, computers, or even calculators once were — which people initially scoffed at or, even worse, worried and fretted about.
It can be helpful for English Language Learners (ELLs) who are new immigrants to the country who need models for how to structure language.
ChatGPT can also be used for students with special needs who may live with dyslexia and dysgraphia, enabling them to use the auto-type and auto-correct voice writing features of ChatGPT to help them craft essays that they would not otherwise have been able to do were they to use a pencil and paper.
ChatGPT has been a game changer, providing a multi-sensory, transformative experience for students with Individualized Education Plans (IEPs). They can now see modeled examples of concepts they need to learn and use it to create their own examples, instead of relying on less preferred or even harmful learning modalities.
Finally, ChatGPT can be used for all students when it comes to doing their homework. It can be used by English teachers to break down examples of how ChatGPT has its limits, by pointing out the theoretical underpinnings for how an essay is structured (I once had a student ask ChatGPT to write a poem for us in class; we then spent the lesson dissecting which principles of writing and editing ChatGPT was relying upon to write its poem).
It can also be used by teachers to create quick examples of essays or math concepts or any other project-related activity and point out the most important features, instead of having teachers spending hours and hours of time trying to craft the *perfect* example of an idea. Now, teachers have multiple examples that can give students greater range of motion in and creativity for creating strong homework samples and projects in and out of the classroom.
Camdyn Zook, Grow Programming
I have purchased ChatGPT Pro to use the GPT-4 features of image recognition and increased computer science knowledge. I have been taking pictures of my professor's slide deck and asking ChatGPT to summarize what each slide says.
Outside the classroom, I use it for tailoring my resume for job postings. I copy the entire job posting text into ChatGPT and ask it what I need to include in my resume.
I also have seen other computer science majors use ChatGPT to help fix their coding solutions and have helped them learn faster with this help. I try to use ChatGPT as more of a tutor/mentor role rather than an answer database. In order to use ChatGPT safely, don't put yourself in scenarios where ChatGPT can be used to cheat.
I told my dad he could use image recognition in ChatGPT when helping my brother with his Calculus homework. He takes a picture of the problem, has ChatGPT solve it, and then tries to help my brother with his questions.
Set guidelines around communication etiquette
Nina Wess, BowTied Raptor
ChatGPT can be an incredibly effective tool for students of all ages, both inside and outside the classroom. The key is to take advantage of ChatGPT's ability to help foster collaboration and create a dialogue that encourages critical thinking, provides support, and helps build healthy relationships.
For those teaching about positive uses of ChatGPT in the classroom, it is important to make sure all expectations are clearly understood by everyone involved. That could include setting guidelines around communication etiquette such as avoiding hurtful language or discouraging sharing personal information. Additionally, educators should provide instruction on how to properly use different features within the platform as well as giving learners an opportunity to reflect on how ChatGPT might be used safely for professional purposes when they enter into adulthood.
For use outside of the classroom there are several tools parents and educators alike can use to ensure safe chatroom conversations. One popular strategy is having kids sign a digital media agreement which defines acceptable online behavior before entering a virtual space like ChatGPT. This tool serves dual purpose by providing guidance from an adult while also fostering responsibility among children allowing them to feel ownership over a safe digital space where they get to choose what’s best for them and others participating in discussions or activities through ChatGPT.
Another excellent resource available is safety guides offered through organizations such as SmartSocial.com which provides education on topics ranging from data privacy to cyberbullying prevention via podcasts, webinars and even age-appropriate interactives ensuring parents have up-to-date resources guiding appropriate digital engagement with their children at home and elsewhere when using similar platforms like ChatGPT together.
Ultimately, encouraging meaningful conversations between adults and young people ensures less risk implicit in using social media technologies including but not limited to setting personal boundaries while still engaging openly within digital spaces, shifting away from negative rhetoric found online, developing strategies around spotting false news & fake accounts, and maintaining respectful dialogues with others online.
Engage students with ChatGPT
Mo Mulla, Founder, Parental Questions
Students can use ChatGPT to strengthen their writing skills, hone their communication abilities, and practice problem-solving skills. In the classroom, ChatGPT enables students to collaborate on projects or assignments by having a virtual conversation where all ideas are heard and respected.
Teachers can consider using ChatGPT in lessons to engage students in creative ways which encourage them to think independently while taking into account multiple perspectives. Intuitive use of ChatGPT in the classroom fosters an environment conducive to productive learning and holistic development of each student's intellect.
Here are some tips for using ChatGPT safely:
- Read through the generated responses before engaging in a conversation. Make sure you understand what ChatGPT is saying, and whether or not it is appropriate for the situation
- Be aware of potential misinformation or bias due to AI technology still being in development. As such, triple check any data coming from ChatGPT before making decisions based on it
- Be aware of safety and privacy concerns when using chatbots online or in public areas, including personal information that developers may collect for marketing or research purposes
- Limit your reliance on ChatGPT and take a break when needed to reconnect with yourself and others around you away from technology. To ensure healthy use of bots, set limits on how often you use them each day and make time to interact with people face-to-face as well!
Supplement student learning with ChatGPT
Ben Richardson, Founder & Director of Acuity Training
ChatGPT in education is a very hot topic because of the high incidence of plagiarism and other issues. It can be a powerful tool for learning and collaboration when used responsibly, but it is important to recognize the potential pitfalls of the platform as well.
Students can use ChatGPT to support their research, help them understand and break down complex topics, and supplement their learning. However, it's important to learn that ChatGPT's source isn't updated and not everything that comes from ChatGPT is accurate. This is why it should only be used as a supplement.
To navigate through ChatGPT safely, students must be mindful of how they use the platform and what information they trust. They should also ensure that any content taken from ChatGPT is properly credited and cited. Use plagiarism checkers to ensure that any content taken from ChatGPT has not been plagiarized.
Ben Poulton, Founder of Intellar
One of the ways I've seen ChatGPT used well is as a way to summarize and distill voluminous texts into manageable chunks. Students can use ChatGPT's text summarization feature to extract key points from longer texts, which gives them a solid foundation on which to build their own understanding of the material. This can be especially valuable when you're covering material that's complex or difficult and you want to break it down into manageable chunks.
Students can also use ChatGPT to stay ahead of the learning curve. For example, if their instructor is using an online textbook to teach a course and they're falling behind, they can use ChatGPT to ask questions about the material that their classmates may have already covered. This can help them get caught up quickly while also helping their classmates who are struggling with understanding the material.
Use ChatGPT to help with writer’s block
Tori Leavitt, CEO, Homeschool Newbie
As a teacher and online entrepreneur, I naturally see the usefulness of this tool for students! I have been officially trained to use ChatGPT and personally use it for my business almost on a daily basis. It helps me speed up my writing and content creation process as well as gives me the nudge I need to complete my tasks that I don't love to do from scratch. I see AI tools becoming something that students need to learn how to use ethically because I anticipate that they will be using it for their future careers as well.
- Brainstorming is one of my favorite ways to use AI tools. ChatGPT helps me brainstorm and create outlines for my writing. Students can use AI tools to help them get started in the writing process and then adjust the outline to add their own personal voice and ideas
- Writer’s block is another area that AI helps me and I believe students can benefit from it as well. When students are not motivated or simply stuck with creating content, AI can give students a push to get projects completed by spitting out suggestions that students can then edit, tweak, and add their own voice
- Delegating lower-level tasks to AI frees up students to focus on higher-value tasks with their assignments and other responsibilities. No longer do they need to spend their time doing busy work. With AI, students can start thinking about big-picture tasks like a leader, delegator, and business owner
Family game night with ChatGPT
Amira Martin, Founder, MA Therapy, LLC
As a psychotherapist and an adjunct professor at Columbia University, I recognize the importance of utilizing technology for positive purposes, both in the classroom and outside of it. Our use of technology in learning has gradually increased over time.
Gone are the days when walking to the library in the snow or rain had to happen to get an assignment done. Now students have the internet at their fingertips and just as the world wide web came on the scene and made life easier for us, ChatGPT is here to do the same. ChatGPT is a large language model trained by OpenAI that can provide helpful insight and information to users.
Students can use ChatGPT to assist with their homework, research projects, and test preparation. They can also use it to improve their writing skills and receive feedback on their work. Additionally, ChatGPT can be used to learn new languages or enhance existing language skills.
It's important to remember that generally speaking, using an outline or bullets which the student then fills with their knowledge and content is best, so that students learn about and understand what they are sharing. Also so that the information is actually theirs, and not something that ChatGPT would then share with someone else who enters a similar question or query.
Since ChatGPT is an AI language model and not a real person, students should maintain a level of skepticism when using it and to fact-check any information received. It is also important to be mindful of sharing personal information and to avoid engaging in sensitive or inappropriate conversations.
Families could use ChatGPT as a tool for family game nights, where it can assist with trivia games or help generate conversation starters. You could even use ChatGPT as a resource for family-friendly recipes or to learn about new hobbies or activities to do together. ChatGPT can simulate a facilitated virtual family therapy session or provide resources for parenting advice and support. But don't let that replace actual family therapy and other resources by experts.
Making flashcards with ChatGPT
Gretchen Boyd, President, NYC HouseCleaners
ChatGPT is a viral sensation that can completely change the way we do things. People often say that AI will replace your job but the truth is, the ones who know how to use AI will replace your job.
ChatGPT can be used effectively to benefit people. Rather than banning it, students can use it to prepare for their examinations by creating flashcards with the help of ChatGPT and also asking it to summarize certain topics so they can save time by reading only the important topics. ChatGPT can create practice test questions and answers for various courses and exams, enabling students to study for exams and develop their test-taking abilities.
Discover a future career path
Saurabh Barnwal, Founder, Studelp
ChatGPT is an incredible tool used by many professionals. Many content creators use it to improve their content, write emails, and perform other useful tasks. Some students use it to solve internal exam papers, cheat, and find quick solutions. Using ChatGPT for such purposes can hinder a student's thinking and creativity and deprive them of the opportunity to learn.
However, there are numerous ways in which a student can use ChatGPT positively to enhance their learning, performance, and other areas.
To get study tips and general guides: Students who are serious about their studies, grades, and performance often look for study tips, techniques, and exam guides to improve their results. By using ChatGPT, a student can search for queries and seek guidance to improve their studies.
For example, if you failed a test or scored badly, you may ask ChatGPT for help like this: I've failed the test and have no idea what to do next. You may further describe your situation, talk about a specific subject you're struggling with, ask about the reasons for your failure, and so on.
If you're having trouble waking up in the morning, you may ask ChatGPT for help by describing your situation, and it can provide a proper guide to becoming an early riser. It's like a free consultancy service that can help solve all your study issues.
To understand any subject or topic easier: Since ChatGPT is based on human language, it can be helpful for you to understand any topic that you didn't understand after reading the book and listening to professors.
Let's say, in your class, your teacher explained about gravitation but somehow you didn't understand even after asking your teacher a few questions. You tried to read the book but the language is also tough to understand. In this case, you may just ask ChatGPT to explain gravitation. If you still don't understand then you may ask ChatGPT like this...Explain gravitation in the easiest way so that a 5-year-old kid can understand who has never heard this word.
It works to learn and understand any topic. You may also ask weird queries that your professors avoid answering like, “Why it is necessary to study gravitation?” or “How I can discover new concepts in gravitation?”
To ask for real-life examples or applications on a topic: If you're a curious student like me who always asks questions and explores concepts and topics thoroughly, ChatGPT can be helpful to you. If you don't see the purpose of studying trigonometry or geometry, you could ask ChatGPT questions like: “What are the applications of trigonometry in real life?” or “How is trigonometry useful to study?” or “Can you provide some real-life examples of Trigonometry?”
If you don't understand a particular example, you can ask ChatGPT to elaborate more on it. This will not only help you discover why it's essential to study something but also give you an understanding of how things work in real life that your professors may not teach you.
To ask for practice questions: If you're preparing for exams or tests, you can use ChatGPT to find new questions to practice from outside of your textbooks and boost your preparation.
For example, if you're preparing for a test on gravitation and looking for new and challenging questions, you could ask ChatGPT to give you five questions on gravitation that are appropriate for a class. In no time, you'll have a list of questions that you may have never solved before. You can customize the questions according to your needs, such as multiple-choice questions, long-answer questions, or numerical problems.
If you find it challenging to solve any question, you may ask ChatGPT to provide a solution, but make sure not to give up easily. Do your best while solving the question.
To explore any courses and career options: After finishing your high school education, you might struggle to figure out what to do next or what career path to follow. If you're interested in a particular course or industry but don't know much about it, you can seek the help of ChatGPT.
If you find cybersecurity fascinating and want to explore courses and career options in this field, you can ask ChatGPT all your queries regarding the cybersecurity course. Exploring a course on ChatGPT can help you not only understand whether the course is worth pursuing or not, but you'll also get to know the right pathway for pursuing the course.
Share Your Thoughts With Our Team
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *