OnlyFans: A Website Known For Porn
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Green Zone.
We believe this app is a STARTING POINT for your student, but that you must monitor your student on every app they are on. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: Please note this app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Gray Zone.
Parents should participate in these apps with students to keep them safe.
Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Red Zone. We believe this app is not safe for students to use without adult supervision. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed as a Dangerous Social Media Challenge. Knowing about social media challenges before your teen does can help you keep them safe before an incident occurs. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
OnlyFans is a website for adults where users post photos for other “fans” to view via a paywall. The site is popular among Instagram influencers, models, and celebrities for making money, but has become a hot spot for pornography and adult entertainers. Some students are finding ways around the site’s age requirements and are attracted to the opportunity to make money.
In this SmartSocial.com guide, parents and educators will learn the basics of OnlyFans.
What is OnlyFans?
- OnlyFans is a subscription website (not an app)
- Users (known as fans) make money by sharing photos or videos with their followers (other Fans) who subscribe
- Fan accounts have diverse interests from media creators trying to monetize their work such as music artists, dancers, food or fashion bloggers, and adult entertainers
- The site has become very popular and most known for adult entertainment during the COVID-19 quarantine periods
- Some underage students have been attracted to the site for the money-making possibilities
Who owns OnlyFans?
Owned by Fenix International Limited in London. Created by Timothy Stokely.
Can students use OnlyFans?
- OnlyFans’ Policy says users must be at least 18 years of age
- Users must complete a photo identification process to confirm age with a photo ID and a matching “selfie” photo
- Some minors are using fake identification (a friend’s ID or a photoshopped image of an ID) and are being approved for months of access before being reported or caught and shut down by OnlyFans
How do students access OnlyFans?
- To access paid content users must enter a valid credit or debit card, which may be one potential deterrent for students.
- However, via YouTube tutorials, students easily find “hacks” for getting OnlyFans content for free off the platform
Where is OnlyFans available?
- OnlyFans is not an app, but rather a website that works on desktops, laptops and mobile browsers: OnlyFans.com
- OnlyFans warns users about suspicious apps they didn't create:
Any existing mobile applications for OnlyFans are not recommended. They should be considered suspicious and should be reported to us. OnlyFans
Only fans in the News
...OnlyFans, where subscribers...pay models and social media influencers a fee, generally $5 to $20 a month, to view a feed of imagery too racy for Instagram. New York Times
The site, which has boomed in popularity in the past year, is technically open to anyone-from personal trainers to artists and cooks-but it’s best known for one thing: nudes. The Guardian
Why should parents care?
- The most popular users on OnlyFans promote adult entertainment photos not suitable or intended for minors
- As with any photo online, student’s photos can be “stolen” from OnlyFans and can be used with malicious intent in other places
- Fans can interact in live chats with other Fans (all assumed to be adults per the website’s policies)
What can parents do?
- Talk with your student about the dangers of sharing or viewing explicit images online
- Discuss live chat safety tips with your student
- If your student has their own credit or debit card:
- Set rules for spending money online
- Monitor their charges- OnlyFans says their charges always include “OnlyFans” or “OF” in the vendor name
OnlyFans is a website populated by various types of influencers but has quickly become integrated with the adult entertainment industry. While the website’s policies do not allow minors under 18, kids are finding ways to bypass the rules and view content. Parents should be aware if their students are accessing this website and talk to their kids about appropriate platforms to follow social media influencers.
Share Your Thoughts With Our Team
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *