What is the Live.me App?
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Green Zone.
We believe this app is a STARTING POINT for your student, but that you must monitor your student on every app they are on. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: Please note this app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Gray Zone.
Parents should participate in these apps with students to keep them safe.
Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Red Zone. We believe this app is not safe for students to use without adult supervision. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed as a Dangerous Social Media Challenge. Knowing about social media challenges before your teen does can help you keep them safe before an incident occurs. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Table of Contents
Live.me is a live streaming video app that allows users to watch or broadcast live-stream videos.
Live.me in the news
Live.me's overall culture is more mature than some others. During our review, we saw lots of bad behavior, from racial slurs to kids being asked to take off clothing. –CNN
Live.me makes it easy for grown men to prey on children. If you are on this app it can tell others exactly where you are located. –NBC
What is the Live.me app?
- Live streaming video app
- When registering, users log in with a phone number, Facebook account, or Instagram account
- At the beginning of a broadcast, viewers are reminded to report violent or sexual content
- Viewers can comment on videos and give gifts to broadcasters
- Broadcasters can respond to comments and engage their viewers
- Viewers can report broadcasters or subscribe to their videos
- Broadcasters can block certain viewers from commenting on their broadcasts
- Users purchase coins through the app to gift to broadcasters
Why should parents care?
- Anyone can watch your students videos and access their information on the app
- Any app that encourages students to connect with strangers online or strangers in their area can be very dangerous
- While the app requires users to be at least 18 years old or have consent from their parents to use the app, it’s very easy to bypass those restrictions and create an account as a minor
- Broadcasts can contain content that is inappropriate and illegal
- Comments on broadcasts can be mature, racist, or negative
- Underage broadcasters can be targeted by predators and are regularly asked to act inappropriately during their broadcast
- Anyone, including predators, can get on the Live.me app and watch videos of people near them
- Live.me use geo-location to share videos, so users know broadcasters exact location
- Teens and tweens earn coins on Live.me and some predators are using coins as a way to pay minors for pictures
What can parents do?
- If your teen has the Live.me app, have them delete the app and discuss the safety concerns of using Live.me
- Check out our Parent App Guide page and encourage your student to use apps in our Green Zone
- Social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram offer live-streaming video features like Live.me while also having the benefit of improving your student’s online footprint and search results
- If your student is interested in creating video content, encourage them to create videos that add value to their online footprint
- Challenge your teen to create helpful and positive videos about the topic they want to study or their favorite hobby
Share Your Thoughts With Our Team
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *