What Parents Need to Know About the Condom Snorting Challenge
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Green Zone.
We believe this app is a STARTING POINT for your student, but that you must monitor your student on every app they are on. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: Please note this app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Gray Zone.
Parents should participate in these apps with students to keep them safe.
Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Red Zone. We believe this app is not safe for students to use without adult supervision. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed as a Dangerous Social Media Challenge. Knowing about social media challenges before your teen does can help you keep them safe before an incident occurs. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
The condom snorting challenge is a viral trend where teens post a video of themselves snorting a condom through their nose and pulling it out of their mouth. While this may sound like a joke, teens have been doing this challenge since 2007.
What is the Condom Snorting Challenge?
- The condom snorting challenge is an online trend where people post a video of themselves snorting a condom through their nose and pulling it out of their mouth
- Most videos of the condom snorting challenge are from 2007-2013. However, with one YouTube search our team was able to find videos that were uploaded in April 2018, of teens doing the challenge (2 teens had even live streamed it that same day)
- The condom snorting challenge shouldn’t be confused with “the condom challenge”. The condom challenge is another viral trend where teens fill up condoms with water and drop them on people
The condom snorting challenge in the news
While teens may think the condom snorting challenge goes without consequences, it can be dangerous. –USA Today
A number of clips emerging on YouTube show kids choking as they attempt to replicate the trend. –New York Post
Why should parents care?
- This challenge can be very dangerous and can cause choking
- Health experts warn of infection or allergic reaction
- Viral challenges like this encourage teens to do dangerous things just for likes, views, attention, and subscribers
- While this viral trend may have been more popular in 2013, teens are hearing about it and posting videos about it today
- YouTube has removed videos of teens doing the challenge because they showcase “harmful or dangerous content”
- Knowing about social media challenges and trends before your teen does can help you keep them safe before an incident occurs
What can parents do?
- Talk to your children about the condom snorting challenge and explain the serious health repercussions associated with it
- Monitor your student’s digital footprint to see if they are watching, liking, or creating posts about the challenge
- Consider contacting your teen's school. If your child has engaged with anything like the condom snorting challenge, other students might be engaging with it too
- Urge your child to report any misbehavior they encounter online and on social media
- Teach your teen that they don’t need to do what everyone else is doing and to use judgment when fads like this arise
- Ensure that your children know that they can always come to you if they have questions or want to talk
Share Your Thoughts With Our Team
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *