What is Pinterest? Social Media Safety Guide
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Green Zone.
We believe this app is a STARTING POINT for your student, but that you must monitor your student on every app they are on. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: Please note this app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Gray Zone.
Parents should participate in these apps with students to keep them safe.
Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Red Zone. We believe this app is not safe for students to use without adult supervision. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed as a Dangerous Social Media Challenge. Knowing about social media challenges before your teen does can help you keep them safe before an incident occurs. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Pinterest is a social media app and website students can use to discover new ideas and share what matters to them. Learning how to use the app with a positive intention and safety settings will help students stay safe and Shine Online.
What does Pinterest’s marketing say?
- Discover and save creative ideas for every project or interest
- Find things to make, buy and do
- Use guided search to find anything you are looking for
- Save good stuff from around the web
- Collect your finds in one place
What is Pinterest?
Pinterest is a visual discovery tool that helps users find ideas for projects and interests.
- Pinterest is a visual discovery tool that helps users find ideas for projects and interests.
- Users search and browse through posts, (called "pins") relating to their topic of choice.
- As users find pins they are interested in, they can save the pin to their own folders (aka "boards") for later reference, or upload pictures, links and descriptions to share with others.
3.5% of all Pinterest users are US teens at the age 14 to 17 year old
Who are Pinterest users?
- Pinterest has 70 million users
- 85% of users are women
- 60% of all users are from the US
- 3.5% are 14-to-17-year-old US internet users
Source: Digital Marketing Stats
What do students say about Pinterest?
Kids think that Pinterest is helpful. They use it to find life hacks, studying tips, DIYs and much more.
- 11 years old: Pinterest is VERY helpful! I use it a lot and so do my friends and family. I think it's good for 11 and up!
- 13 years old: Although it is considered social media, I think it’s okay. I use it to find life hacks, studying tips, DIYs and much more. You need to know what your child would look up but other than that it's a great app and has a nice website too. You can also control what comes on your feed.
- 13 years old: Pinterest has so many pictures that you will love. As long as you don't search for anything inappropriate, there won't be anything bad.
Source: Common Sense Media
Pinterest is a great source of inspiration for students. They can use it to find studying tips, DIY’s and more.
Benefits of Pinterest for students
Pinterest is a great source of inspiration. Students can find crafting, cooking, photography, drawing, fashion, and more on the site. They can also find guides, tutorials and instructions. Pinterest can also be helpful while working on school projects.
If Pinterest account was created under a student's real name, then colleges and employees can easily find it.
Can people find students on Pinterest?
- Yes! Pinterest boards are public. Search for your student on Google using these terms: First + Last + Pinterest
- Next, Search for your student on Pinterest.com Make sure each board and pin is something you want a college to find.
You're allowed to have fun on Pinterest, just make sure that you post something that is Light, Bright and Polite.
How can Pinterest improve your online reputation?
Consider uploading Light, Bright and Polite™ photos of:
- Volunteer activities
- Helpful ideas
- Funny quotes
- Topics that will be on your college application (second language, travel, interests, etc.)
You're allowed to have fun on Pinterest, just make sure that you post something that is Light, Bright & Polite™.
Most popular categories on Pinterest are Food and Drinks, Crafts, and Women’s Fashion.
What do people pin on Pinterest?
Most popular categories on Pinterest are:
- Food and drink
- Home decor
- Women’s fashion
Read more at Business 2 Community
Pinterest prohibits users under 13 years old to create an account. However, younger kids are able to register too.
What is the Pinterest age restriction?
13 yrs+ Anyone under 13 yrs is prohibited However: It’s rated 4 yrs+ years on iTunes
It's very easy to create a Pinterest account. You can register using your email or Facebook profile.
How to create a Pinterest account
- You can create a Pinterest account using your email or Facebook account.
- You can use your real name or a nickname.
- After registering, users can connect their Pinterest account to Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and other email accounts.
What should parents know about Pinterest
Pictures that your kid pinned on Pinterest can appear when colleges search for your kid’s name online.
- There's some not-for-kids stuff on Pinterest (for example pins that include nudity in the lingerie category or pictures of people drinking alcohol in the wine/beer section).
- Pinterest accounts (especially those that are under real names) are searchable online and Google will find them.
- Pictures that your kid pinned on their online boards can appear when colleges and employers search for your kid’s name online.
- Pinterest has become a new type of online shopping site. Most of the pins of clothing, shoes and cosmetic products are linked to online stores.
Comment below if you have any questions or tell us for which app we should create our next safety guide.
Share Your Thoughts With Our Team
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *