What is ASKfm? A Parent Guide
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Green Zone.
We believe this app is a STARTING POINT for your student, but that you must monitor your student on every app they are on. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: Please note this app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Gray Zone.
Parents should participate in these apps with students to keep them safe.
Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed in the SmartSocial.com Red Zone. We believe this app is not safe for students to use without adult supervision. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
Parents and Teachers: This app is listed as a Dangerous Social Media Challenge. Knowing about social media challenges before your teen does can help you keep them safe before an incident occurs. Join our weekly newsletter to learn about the 100+ App Reviews at SmartSocial.com
We created a parents guide for the ASKfm (formerly called Ask.fm) app to help parents and educators better understand this new and popular app that students are using.
Ask and answer. Find out what people want to know about you! ASKfm is a global community. We already have more than 90 million members in over 150 countries. We are a community built on core values, on togetherness, trust and mutual respect.
Ask.fm, the troubling secret playground of tweens and teens. Insanely popular with kids, the question-and-answer service thrives on anonymity, making it fun and dangerous
Anyone over the age 13 years old can create an account
You must be at least 13 years old to create an account and we also ask that you read our policies to make sure that you understand how to use Ask.fm.
The site is especially popular with teenagers: 42% of its users are under the age of 17.
What parents should worry about?
- Ask.fm is based in Riga, Latvia, which is why U.S. and British authorities often have a long wait to gather data from the site.
From: Chicago Now
- It's very easy to find any user on Ask.fm. Most of the students are revealing personal information, such as first and last names, age, location, and links to their social webpages.
- Students often have no way of knowing who is bullying or harassing them on the site.
From Chicago Now
- At least 9 teenage suicides were linked to cyber-bullying on social network Ask.fm.
What do the co-founders of ASKfm say about cyber-bulling problems?
We are the ones being bullied: Founders of Ask.fm claim they are easy targets despite website being linked to string of teen suicides.
What can parents do?
- Ask your students if they are on this app and if they have friends that are on this app
- Have your kids delete this app and use Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat
- Work with your student to save their settings to restrict receiving anonymous messages
- Parents can view their student's profile to monitor the content
- Inappropriate questions should be reported and deleted
- Explain to your students that if you threaten someone else you will get caught by the police
How to restrict receiving anonymous questions:
- Open your account.
- Go to Settings.
- Click on Privacy tab.
- Check the "Do not allow anonymous questions" field.
How to see your student's account?
- Create an account.
- Go to ASK.fm or download the Ask.fm app for your electronic device. You need to submit a username and password which will become your login details. You will also need to enter your full name, email address and date of birth. You can also link your Ask.fm account with Facebook, Twitter or Vk.
- Find your student. The service will find all Ask.fm users within your social network friends automatically. Also, you may find your student by typing the name and location in the service search field.
How to delete an ASK.fm account?
- Click here: Delete Ask.fm account or go to the Ask.fm app on your phone and choose Settings, Profile and click Deactivate account.
- You need to have an access to your student's account to delete it. You have to know login and password to sign in.
Parents can report inappropriate content on their student's ASK.fm profile.
Do you have more questions about the ASK.fm social network? Let us know in the comment section below.
Share Your Thoughts With Our Team
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *