The Gather app makes it easy for users to create and share real life events to meet up with friends. Invitations can be sent to anyone in a user’s phone contacts, even if they don’t have the app.
What is the Gather app?
- The Gather app is an event planning app
- Users can organize their contacts by what they like to do with them
- Invitations can be public to friends of friends, so they can see and invite themselves to the event
- On Gather, users can set a limit on how many users can join the event
- In addition to friends of friends invitations, user can create invite-only invitations
- The Gather app makes it easy for users to share their events on social media
- Users can send private messages on Gather
- There is a ‘Next Time’ feature that allows users to pass on an event but show interest in future events
Why should parents care?
- The app mines user’s phones and spams their entire contacts list via text message
- The app uses spamming tactics to increase downloads of Gather
- This method of spamming creates false credibility since you think the suggestion is coming from a friend
- Tweens and teens sometimes have difficulty discerning what is spam and what isn’t. Apps like Gather take advantage of that
- Gather encourages users to share their event on social media. We discourage teens from posting on social media that they will be at an event, before it occurs
- There is a private messaging feature on Gather that can be used to bully, send inappropriate messages, or anything else teens might not want showing up on their parent’s phone bill
What can parents do?
- If your child has the Gather app, explain the negative motives the app has by spamming their contacts and have them delete the app
- Teach your children how to determine what is spam and what isn’t
- Encourage your student to use apps in our Green Zone to schedule events with their friends
- Motivate your teen to utilize text messaging, Facebook events, or email instead of the Gather app
- Consider joining Parent University to get videos you can watch WITH your kids so they will learn how to be safe and smart online